Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I have returned

Today at Brandy Station: May 2, 2012

After about six months, I have decided to return to "Today at Brandy Station." 

I am no longer aligned with the Brandy Station Foundation, but for consistentcy, the title will remain, as Brandy Station is the most recognized location in Civil War Culpeper County.

I am still active on a number of committees, roundtables and currently sit on the Board of Directors of the Friends of Cedar Mountain Battlefield.  Additionally, I continue to give tours of the Brandy Station, Fauquier County areas, presenting their unique Civil War histories. Last weekend I supported Bud Hall and the Central Virginia Battlefield Trust's tour of Brandy Station.

The CVBT tour was two buses, led by Bud Hall and Greg Mertz and travelled to a number of locations on the battlefield, with Bud leading the discussions on events before the war, during the fight on June 9, 1863 and the preservation fights that continue to this day. The group also visited and toured Auburn and Rose Hill. It was a good day.

It is my intention is to continue telling this audience what happened today at Brandy Station, past and present. And maybe a little bit of what will happen in the future.  Sometimes the story may not be what some want or like to hear, but it will always be accurate as far as I know and can judge.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're back to posting, Mike. I look forward to seeing more about Brandy Station, past, present and future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your blog and am glad you are again active. My great-great grandfather was Adjutant of the 2nd. PA Provisional Heavy Artillery. His regiment was the first into the Crater after the mine explosion at Petersburg and he was one of 6 officers in the regiment to be taken prisoner. He wrote many letters during his service. One of these, written from Brandy Station on May 5, 1864 just hours before he entered the Wildneress is quite dramatic and may be of interest to you and your readers. The letter can be accessed on my blog at www.letters1862-1864.blogspot.com

    Regards,
    Greg Taylor

    ReplyDelete